Sometimes I want to wear things that no one else has. Something special to me or a piece that expresses who I am and how I feel at the moment. It's totally liberating! It does something to me to know that I am the only person walking around with that particular Item. The need to feel exclusive has always in my blood, but I lost it for a while and I'm just now getting my stride back. There was a time in my life where I was pretty much lost and fashion took a back seat to all of my life problems. I stopped being creative, I stopped looking for ways to make me stand out amongst the crowd, I simply stopped caring.
Sometimes we all hit that "slump" where you don't know where life is taking you. Your confused, and EVERYTHING seems to be going wrong! You search for answers and try to hang on while feeling like everything is crumbling around you. With so much noise in the world, you can feel like you don't matter and there's nothing "special" about you...but I'm here to tell you, you are DEAD wrong!
I'm a lot wiser now and one thing I do know is EVERYONE has a talent! Even YOU! There is something that you do exceptionally well that others ; no matter how hard they may try, just can't duplicate. Did you know that every Zebra that walks this earth has a unique pattern of black and white stripes? That means that no two Zebras have the same stripe pattern! So, if every Zebra is born unique, you MUST know that you are too!
While on a thrift binge recently, I did something totally out of my character, I went thrifting with another person! Sure, this person is my friend, but 99.9% of the time I go shopping by myself..it's just easier because I'm usually in the zone and all over the place! I picked up a dope shirt off the rack. Right price. Right fit. Right color...but something was just...off. I Just couldn't put my finger on it. My friend walked over and looked at my puzzled face and asked what was wrong, I reluctantly answered " I really like this shirt..but something is missing..." He gave me a sheepish smile and calmly said "Bruh, then make it your own!"
DING! Light bulb went off and the "BRUH" T-shirt was born! So I bought the shirt and later bought the letters and applied them myself. My total for my whole project? $15 bucks! All it took was a little time, but that's a small price to pay for customizing your own pieces.
Here are 5 tips for quickly customizing your own Tee:
- Make sure the shirt is washed , ironed and the surface is clear of lint and other debris: Clean garments and work areas make for an easy application process.
- Be SURE to read the instruction: Yeah....ummmm...don't make the mistake I did and just go at it without figuring out what the h** your doing...you'll end up with a mess!
- There are no "Do-overs" : Once you start the application process....it's a wrap! Be 100% sure of what you want to see on your shirt.
- Be Patient!: I swear it took fooooooorrrreeeveeeer for those letter to adhere to the shirt! ( well...20 minuets, but it felt like forever!) I was almost ready to call it quits when the boyfriend snapped at me for being inpatient and took over!
- Make a statement: If your going to have a word, quote, or statement plastered across your chest, make sure it's something that represents the person you are. Like for me, "BRUH" is a popular Bay Area word ( some say it actually originated from the Bay Area, but many can argue that) and I'm SO Bay Area, so I felt totally comfortable wearing it.
And there you have it! Your style, your way, without spending a grip! At the end of the day, we all have unique stripes that makes us special...mines just so happen to be on my feet! :)